With the kitchen bustling under the lead of Chef Jack Steer (think Chin Chin, China Doll and Spice Temple) the menu offers Chinese comfort food made to share.
Open for dinner Tuesday to Saturday and Sunday from midday to 8pm, the 80 seater is the perfect spot for a catch up with your chilli-loving friends over salivation-inducing dishes like drowned fish with dried chilli, shallot, bean sprout and chicken broth; wontons with bug meat, prawn chilli and Sichuan pepper or the Bang Bang Chicken! (which we’re lucky enough to be able to share the recipe for below!)
“I love dining at my friend’s parents’ house and eating their traditional Chinese cooking – it’s simple with amazing spice and various chilli flavours to really lift it and there’s no sweetness like you find in a lot of the restaurant food today.”
Jack Steer, East London’s Executive Chef
Needing some refreshments to calm down that spice? East London’s drinks list includes a mix of Asian-infused cocktails like the Samurai Spritz (Aperol, Yuzu Sake, Grapefruit, Prosecco and Soda) or Sichuan Love (Havana Rum, Strawberries, Thai Basil, Palm Sugar, Lime Juice and Sichuan Pepper).
For those that love a vino a range of local Australian wineries will be showcased from Tasmania, the Clare Valley and Margaret River.
Keen to get a Sichuan kick now? Try East London’s Bang Bang Chicken! for an instant spice hit!
East London Gives Paddington a Kick With A Sichuan Style Eatery
- 1/2 GGP (ginger garlic paste) *
- 25ml chilli oil
- 20g caster sugar
- 25ml black Chinese vinegar
- 25g sesame paste
- 25ml light soy
- 10ml sesame oil
- Half a bunch of shallot, julienne
- 10g crushed peanuts, toasted
- 50g bean sprouts
- *GGP is made by blending equal parts ginger and garlic.
- 200g chicken breast
- 1000ml cold water
- 60g salt
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan with salt and water. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Tip: using a low simmer helps retain the moisture.
- Lightly fry the ginger and garlic.
- Mix the ginger and garlic with the remaining ingredients.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and add the sauce.
- Garnish with shallots.