I love sponges because the ingredients are really easy to remember! Flour, Sugar and Butter in equal parts and 5 eggs. Too easy!
Too hard in the oven but still want sponge?
Make a mini one in the microwave! Cut down your ingredients to 100g each of butter, caster sugar and flour with 2 eggs.
Fill a microwave safe ramekin or small bowl until it’s two thirds of the way full and cover it with cling wrap.
Zap it in the microwave for 40-45 seconds and voila! Sponge for one! (or two if you’re feeling nice)
Food Fix Friday: Super Simple Sponge
- 300g Self-Raising Flour
- 300g Butter
- 300g Caster Sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 250ml Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar
- With a cake mixer combine the butter and sugar until its light and fluffy.
- Add in an egg at a time combining completely before adding the next one. Tip! If you find the mixture is starting to curdle add in a tablespoon of your flour, this will stop it in it's tracks!
- Sift in the flour and fold in gently, you don't want to destroy all the air you've placed into the mixture by whisking but you also want to make sure that the flour is fully combined.
- Place it into your pre-greased and lined cake tin (you can use two cake tins if you want the jam and cream sandwiched in the middle) and pop it in a 180c oven for 30 minutes. Voila!
- For the cream, add the vanilla essence and tablespoon of caster sugar and whisk until thickened. Spread the jam over the cooled sponge and follow by the cream. Eat all by yourself, in your pyjamas.